Sponsor a Child for a Launch Class!
We have partnered with Launch to carry out the unified mission of changing lives by providing care and services for children and families in underserved communities in the greater Washington DC area.
In partnership with So What Else, Launch will provide unique fitness and wellness programming for several of our communities.
Launch seeks to change lives through these classes by:
- building a stronger sense of community
- nourishing their total wellness
- boosting self-confidence and a positive self-image
- improving socialization skills rooted in wellness principles.
The overall program is called LaunchCARES and is comprised of smaller unique programs, such as:
- LaunchFIT: 60 minutes fitness + 30 minutes wellness exploration.
- LaunchBIKE: 60 minutes cycling + 30 minutes wellness exploration. Launch will provide each child with a bike, helmet, and bike lock for this program. Launch will teach bike safety and maintenance as part of this program to foster a lifelong sports interest for participating children.
- LaunchRUN: 60 minutes running + 30 minutes wellness exploration. Launch will provide each child with a pair of sneakers and a water bottle for this program. Launch will teach running form, warm-up drills, and injury prevention to foster a lifelong sports interest for participating children.
- LaunchSOCCER: 60 minutes of soccer activities + 30 minutes of wellness exploration. For this program, Launch will provide each child with a soccer ball and pair of cleats. Launch will teach soccer drills, techniques, warm-ups, and injury prevention in hopes of fostering a lifelong interest for participating children.
- LaunchHERO (first responders families): LaunchFIT program for families of local police, fire, sheriff, correctional officers, and first responders. Launch gives back because they give it all.
- LaunchWARRIOR (military and veteran families): LaunchFIT program for families of local military and veterans. Launch gives back because they give it all.
A little more about LaunchFIT…
- Each child will participate in 60 minutes of group fitness training followed by 30 minutes of wellness exploration.
- The fitness training will consist of cardiovascular endurance training, strength training, speed and agility work, power and explosiveness techniques, mobility and flexibility drills, calisthenics, and plyometrics.
- The wellness exploration will be led by a Social Worker, Doctor of Physical Therapy, and/or a trained Fitness Coach. This part of the program will focus on the ten aspects of total wellness: physical, mental, emotional, social, environmental, nutritional, intellectual, occupational, spiritual, and financial. Kids will explore these areas through facilitated group discussions and activities.
- Examples of wellness discussion topics include teamwork, self-confidence, visualization, self-esteem, service-oriented living, etc.
- Examples of wellness activities include: creating life maps, gratitude journaling, meditation, joy boards, and hosting special speakers.