So What Else’s primary goal is to provide after-school and summer programs to children who do not otherwise have access to certain activities, skills, and perspectives without deliberate exposure. Our diverse curriculum fosters academic achievement, inspires community engagement, teaches teamwork and empathy, nurtures a healthy lifestyle, engenders a sense of well-being and self-efficacy, and promotes environmental stewardship.
Founded on the simple desire to do good in the world, So What Else has not abandoned its altruistic roots: in addition to our year-round youth development activities, So What Else leads volunteers at +60 volunteer events per year, logging +1,500 individual service hours annually, and incorporates service activities into all after school and summer programs.
What We've Achieved
- Strengthened the quality and depth of available OST programs in the DC region with +40 diverse weekly after school opportunities every semester
- Developed relationships with over 35 community partner sites to create a brighter future for our children
- Provided 12 weeks of FREE educational summer programming at 2-4 sites per day to +800 youth every summer since 2013
- Engaged +2,000 youth youth with on-site service projects and activities through The Big Idea service learning workshop and After School Service Fairs
- Connected +3,000 volunteers to date with meaningful service experiences with various area nonprofits
- Expanded our services into Baltimore City, serving +150 youth at 5 sites with 16 weekly classes during the school year